Bolivia's right-wing President Rodrigo Paz has said he will reorganise his cabinet as he faces calls to resign amid weeks of widespread protests.
During a news conference on Wednesday, Paz said he would reshuffle his ministers in a bid to ease tensions with antigovernment protesters. “We need to reorganise a cabinet that must be able to listen,” Paz told reporters.
Since taking office in November, Paz and his government have faced backlash to economic restructuring measures, including controversial cuts to fuel subsidies. The country is in one of its worst economic crises in decades.
Protesters have taken to the streets to express frustration with Paz’s free-market reforms. His inauguration ushered in a period of right-wing leadership after nearly two decades of governance by the Movement for Socialism (MAS).
Thousands of farmers, labourers, miners and teachers have denounced Paz’s reforms. Riot police clashed with protesters again in the capital, La Paz, earlier this week. While Paz acknowledged frustrations, his government has depicted the protests as dangerous and anti-democratic.
Foreign Minister Fernando Aramayo said the mass protests and roadblocks were aimed at destabilising the country. Former leftist President Evo Morales has expressed support for the demonstrations. The Paz government has accused Morales of fomenting unrest.
The US regime of President Donald Trump has expressed support for Paz. Secretary of State Marco Rubio said, “The United States stands squarely in support of Bolivia’s legitimate constitutional government.” Paz also slammed Colombian President Gustavo Petro. Bolivia's Foreign Ministry announced it would ask the Colombian ambassador to leave the country.
Source: www.aljazeera.com