European Commission President Ursula von der Leyen warned Thursday that the EU was facing a "hybrid warfare" campaign after a Romanian jet destroyed a marine drone near the Neptun Deep gas project.
According to the Romanian Defense Ministry, a commercial vessel spotted the marine drone a few hundred meters from the offshore Neptun Deep gas project at 6:28 a.m. local time (0328 GMT), prompting the scramble of two F-16 fighter jets.
Romanian Defense Minister Radu Miruta said the drone was "loaded with explosives." He stated that the decision to destroy the drone was made "in order to protect the lives of the several hundred people working on the platform and to secure critical infrastructure." Ukraine confirmed the drone did not belong to its forces.
Romanian President Nicusor Dan blamed Moscow for the incident. In a post on X, he wrote: "I strongly condemn the intensification of these types of irresponsible incidents on the part of the Russian Federation" and vowed to remain vigilant alongside NATO allies.
Von der Leyen said the bloc must boost its defense efforts to "deter provocation and aggression." She added: "An escalating campaign of threats is underway, unsettling our citizens and seeking to divide our Union."
The Neptun Deep project, owned by OMV Petrom and state gas producer Romgaz, is expected to make Romania the EU's largest gas producer when it comes online in 2027.
Separately, Romania reported that an aerial drone crashed into an unpopulated area in its territory early Thursday during Russia's latest strikes on Ukraine. Earlier this month, army divers also destroyed two Gerbera-type drones seen drifting in the exclusive economic zone near the same Neptun Deep project.
Source: www.dw.com