A 13-year-old boy was electrocuted after climbing onto a high-voltage transformer in the Davlatobod district of Namangan region, Uzbekistan. The incident was reported by the “Millar” program.
According to officials, the accident occurred on May 5 at approximately 19:37. Preliminary reports indicate that the boy, born in 2013, climbed onto a high-voltage transformer installed in the neighborhood while trying to pick cherries and was electrocuted.
The boy was under the care of his aunt, as his mother was working abroad. “My nephew came home from school at 5:30 PM. He went outside to play football with friends. Since there is no playground nearby, they were playing at the beginning of the street. We didn't see him touch the transformer. There was a flash and an explosion,” the boy's aunt said.
She added that neighbors initially tried to help. “The neighbors tried to give first aid by smearing him with mud because there was a canal nearby. The boy was alive,” she said.
Relatives took the boy to a nearby hospital, but claim that prompt assistance was not provided there. “The 'Go'zal' hospital was far, so they took him to the 'Gishtli' hospital. They didn't provide first aid there. I searched for the boy for over an hour. Then I found out his location via 103 and went to the hospital. By the time we arrived, the boy was already dead,” the aunt said.
The district prosecutor and an operational-investigative group from the internal affairs department arrived at the scene. A forensic medical examination has been ordered to determine the cause of death.
The relatives of the deceased claim that there were no safety barriers around the transformer. “If the transformer had been fenced off, this wouldn't have happened. The power grid is responsible. The wires are hanging, and it's still not locked. They only collected the wires but didn't install a fence,” the aunt stated.
She noted that they had contacted the neighborhood committee and the local inspector, but officials said the area was not under their jurisdiction. “The reason for this investigation is to prevent other children from suffering. A healthy child went out to play and came back dead — that's very hard,” she said.
The deceased boy was a 5th-grade student at Secondary School No. 56 in the Davlatobod district. The Prosecutor General's Office announced that pre-investigation checks are underway. Additionally, an internal investigation has been launched into the activities of employees of the Davlatobod district electricity supply enterprise.
Previously, in the Gallaorol district of Jizzakh region, a 14-year-old schoolboy was electrocuted by high-voltage current while on top of a train car. The boy fell from a height of 6 meters and was hospitalized in serious condition.
Source: www.gazeta.uz