US President Donald Trump has reiterated his intention to hold direct talks with Taiwan's President Lai Ching-te over a reported $14 billion arms deal, a move that would break over four decades of protocol and be seen as an affront to China.
"I'll speak to him. I speak to everybody," Trump said when asked about the situation. This would be the first direct presidential communication between the two countries since the US switched diplomatic recognition from Taipei to Beijing in 1979.
Taiwan's Foreign Ministry said on Thursday that Lai would be "happy to discuss these matters with President Trump" and that he is "committed to maintaining the stable status quo in the Taiwan Strait."
Trump's statement was the second such made since his state visit to China last week. He previously said he had "a great meeting" with Chinese President Xi Jinping, adding, "We'll work on that… the Taiwan problem."
The US officially recognized the People's Republic of China in 1979 under the "One China" policy and has since avoided public high-level contacts with Taiwanese leaders. However, the US also passed the Taiwan Relations Act, committing to provide Taiwan with means to defend itself.
Beijing considers Taiwan part of its territory and has threatened to use force if necessary. A Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson urged Trump to "handle the Taiwan issue with extreme caution and stop sending wrong signals to the separatist forces of Taiwan independence."
Source: www.dw.com