Currency
  • Loading...
Weather
  • Loading...
Air Quality (AQI)
  • Loading...

President Donald Trump announced Thursday that the United States will send an extra 5,000 troops to Poland, a week after the Pentagon cancelled a planned deployment of 4,000 troops to the country. The decision was disclosed on Trump's Truth Social platform.

Trump stated the move was based on the US relationship with Polish President Karol Nawrocki, whom he backed during last year's presidential elections and who is a long-time supporter. The president did not clarify whether the additional troops are part of the previously planned deployment or a separate operation.

NATO Secretary General Mark Rutte welcomed the announcement ahead of a meeting of foreign ministers in Sweden. Rutte told reporters the trajectory towards Europe becoming less reliant on the US "will continue."

Polish Prime Minister Donald Tusk called the announcement "good news" for both countries, adding on X: "I thank all those involved in this matter—President Nawrocki, the ministers, congressmen, and friends of Poland in the USA—for their effectiveness and unity of action."

The Pentagon abruptly announced last week it was cancelling the deployment of 4,000 troops to Poland, but US Defence Secretary Pete Hegseth later described it as "a temporary delay," asserting Washington would continue to ensure a strong military presence in the country.

The White House has recently signaled intentions to reduce overall troop levels in Europe as part of its "America First" agenda. US Secretary of State Marco Rubio is expected to call for increased burden-sharing from NATO partners at Friday's talks in Helsingborg.

Speaking to reporters, Rubio said: "The president's views are frankly disappointment at some of our NATO allies and their response to our operations in the Middle East." He added that there are other areas where cooperation continues, citing the Poland announcement.

German Foreign Minister Johann Wadephul welcomed the US decision, stating: "It serves not only for Poland's security, but for the security of the whole alliance and so also for us. So, this is absolutely in our interest."

Earlier this month, the US announced it would withdraw 5,000 troops from Germany after a row between Trump and German Chancellor Friedrich Merz over the war with Iran. It is unclear whether the additional troops for Poland are part of those withdrawing from Germany or a separate group.

Several Republican lawmakers have criticized Trump's decision to withdraw troops from Germany, warning it risks sending the wrong message to Russia. The US currently has over 36,000 troops stationed in Germany, its largest European deployment.

Source: www.bbc.com