Currency
  • Loading...
Weather
  • Loading...
Air Quality (AQI)
  • Loading...

Two Indian climbers have died on Mount Everest during a record-breaking period of ascents via Nepal's southern route, as experts warn of overcrowding on the world's highest peak. Nepal is home to eight of the world's 10 highest peaks and welcomes hundreds of adventurers each spring.

At least five climbers have died during this Everest season, including the two Indians and three Nepalis. A US and a Czech climber died on Mount Makalu earlier this month. Nivesh Karki, director at Pioneer Adventures, named the latest victims as Sandeep Are, who summited on May 20, and Arun Kumar Tiwari, who reached the peak on May 21. "They fell ill while descending at high altitude. We are working out how to retrieve the bodies," Karki told AFP.

Nepali climber Kami Rita Sherpa, who scaled Everest for a record 32nd time earlier this month, returned to Kathmandu on Friday, expressing concern about the experience of some climbers. "The expedition this time felt a bit crowded. The government should regulate this a bit… They should let in only climbers of quality – there should be a limit," he told AFP.

On Thursday, a record number of climbers reached the 8,849-meter peak from the Nepali side, according to tourism officials, who gave a preliminary total of 275 pending final confirmation. The peak can be tackled from both Nepal and the northern face in Tibet, but Chinese authorities have closed the latter route this year.

Among the successful climbers was British guide Kenton Cool, who reached the top for the 20th time, extending his own record for the most ascents by a non-Nepali. The high number of climbers has rekindled concerns about overcrowding, especially if poor weather shortens the climbing window. Nepal has issued a record 492 Everest permits for foreigners this season, with a city of tents set up at the foot of the mountain.

Source: www.aljazeera.com