Human Rights Watch (HRW) has accused Russian-controlled paramilitary forces in Mali of summarily executing nine civilians, including four children, a month after an airstrike killed several others. The rights group detailed the alleged atrocities in a statement released on Thursday, saying the killings occurred in the presence of Malian soldiers.
The Africa Corps, a Russian military unit, is accused of carrying out the killings in early July in Bombori village, central Mali. HRW also alleged that dozens of people were beaten and at least eight homes were set ablaze during the operation, which reportedly involved over 100 fighters.
"The Malian military government appears to have given Russian Africa Corps forces a green light to kill civilians," said Ilaria Allegrozzi, senior Sahel researcher at HRW. "The Malian authorities cannot evade legal responsibility by leaving the atrocities to the Africa Corps. They need to promptly and impartially investigate these abuses, and hold all those responsible to account, including Malian military personnel," she added.
HRW interviewed witnesses between July 19 and 30. According to the report, on July 10, more than 100 Africa Corps fighters rounded up at least 80 men and boys in Bombori, beating them while interrogating about alleged ties to armed groups. Six civilians were shot dead trying to escape, and three others were detained and executed, with one reportedly beheaded.
Mali has been embroiled in a civil war since 2012, when a Tuareg separatist rebellion escalated into armed campaigns. The military-led government is battling multiple groups linked to al-Qaeda and ISIS, losing vast territories. Residents told HRW that al-Qaeda-affiliated JNIM has controlled Bombori since 2017, but no JNIM fighters were present on the day of the killings.
Security in the Sahel and West Africa remains critical as armed groups vie for influence. Bamako's relations with Western nations, especially former colonizer France, have deteriorated following two military coups in nine months, with the current regime seizing power in May 2021. Russia, through Africa Corps and previously Wagner Group, is now Mali's primary military partner, receiving cash and access to gold and other mineral wealth in exchange for support.
Source: www.aljazeera.com