Currency
  • Loading...
Weather
  • Loading...
Air Quality (AQI)
  • Loading...

A car bomb explosion near a Syrian Defence Ministry building in Damascus has killed at least one soldier and wounded more than 20 people, authorities said on Tuesday.

In a statement carried by state media, the ministry said army personnel discovered an improvised explosive device planted near the site in the Bab Sharqi district. As they moved to defuse it, a car bomb exploded in the same area, it added, without providing further details.

In addition to the killed soldier, at least 21 people were wounded and transferred to nearby hospitals, said Najib al-Naasan, head of Syria’s ambulance and emergency directorate.

Videos on social media showed plumes of smoke rising from the scene, with firefighters rushing to extinguish the blaze.

There was no immediate claim of responsibility.

Security incidents, including explosions targeting military and civilian vehicles, have occurred intermittently in Syria since the fall of longtime President Bashar al-Assad in late 2024 after more than 13 years of war.

Reporting from near the site of the attack, Al Jazeera’s Heidi Pett said the security situation in Syria remains “quite complex”.

Last year, a car bomb killed at least 20 people on the outskirts of Manbij in northern Syria, while a suicide bomber attacked a packed church in Damascus, killing at least 25 and wounding dozens.

In June 2024, an explosion killed one person in the capital after a device detonated in their car.

Source: www.aljazeera.com